Man kidnapped 10-year-old

Peter Carroll, who has been found guilty of kidnapping a 10-year-old girl.
Peter Carroll, who has been found guilty of kidnapping a 10-year-old girl.

A MAN from Batley has been found guilty of kidnapping a 10-year-old girl as she walked to a supermarket to buy rabbit food for her pet bunny.

Peter Carroll, 52, targeted his victim by identifying where she lived and who her parents where.

Hull Crown Court heard he waited for her near a railway line, told her he knew her father, and tried to lure her into bushes. He then dropped his trousers and told her to perform a sex act, but she ran off screaming.

She went into a branch of Tesco and bought the rabbit food - too frightened to tell staff what had happened outside - but she collapsed in tears when she got home.

The court heard she had been given her independence to make the trip to prepare her for secondary school by her mum, who had forgotten to collect the rabbit food on her weekly shop.

Carroll, of Arncliffe Road, was found guilty of kidnap, inciting a child to commit a sexual act and committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence after a four day trial.

The girl told the jury in a DVD interview: “I went to Tesco to buy rabbit food. I saw this man.

“He told me to follow him and he took me into some bushes. I had never seen him before. He put his arm around me and said that he knew my 
dad, so I thought I could trust him.”

The girl said she was “scared and shocked” by what happened.

Carroll, who was said to 
be an alcoholic, had gone to Bridlington for his holiday 
and had been drinking that day.

After the verdict Judge 
Simon Jack told the court that he was worried about the 
random nature of the attack, which happened in the first week of the school summer holidays.

He said: “I am worried about the question of risk and a pre-sentence report will give me a professional’s assessment of the risk he poses. I will sentence him when I have that report.”

Outside the court the girl’s family said no sentence would recapture the lost innocence of their daughter.

They said Carroll had put them through seven months of hell by protesting his innocence.

Her mother said: “He has 
shown no remorse. He has 
sat there shaking his head 
and put us through seven 
months of agony waiting for him to admit his guilt.

“The most frightening thing is that he was watching my daughter, my husband and 
me. He knew my husband’s name.”

Judge Jack ordered Carroll be remanded in custody and sign on the National Sex Offenders’ Register. He will be sentenced in around four weeks’ time.