Heartfelt thanks have been paid to a neighbour after he saved a baby’s life.
Every mother’s worst nightmare happened to Kelly Howard when her 13-month-old daughter, Sydney Jackson, stopped breathing.
In a desperate panic, Miss Howard ran to neighbour Kyle Holdsworth for help, who performed life-saving CPR on the infant.
Miss Howard of Thornton Close, Birstall, said: “I was in the kitchen with Sydney, who was sitting in her high chair. It was like any other day.
“She started eating a jaffa cake and then all of a sudden she went really quiet.
“Her skin was a grey colour, she was slumped in her chair and was not breathing. It all happened in a matter of seconds.
“I totally panicked, I didn’t know what to do.”
Miss Howard, 29, was at home with her four children when her youngest, little Sydney, began choking. In a desperate attempt to save her, Miss Howard picked her up and ran to her next door neighbour’s home for help.
Mr Holdsworth, who is in the army and medically trained, rushed to her aid performing CPR on the infant.
Miss Howard said: “I was really worried she would be starved of oxygen and it would affect her brain. Thankfully after a few minutes Sydney began breathing again. I knew she was alive when she started making some funny noises.”
Sydney was admitted to Dewsbury and District Hospital for two days as a precaution.
Miss Howard said: “Kyle was pretty shaken up by the whole thing, but he saved her life without a doubt. I’m so grateful to him and do not know what we would have done if he was not there.”
Miss Howard and her partner, Scott Jackson, said their daughter returned home last Monday and was recovering well.