A NEIGHBOUR’S speedy response to a kitchen fire saved the life of a plucky pooch.
Leanne Craven was at home taking an exam online when she heard her next-door neighbour’s smoke alarm going off at around 9am on Friday.
“I thought she was cooking, then realised after 15 minutes there was something wrong,” she said.
“I went round and banged on the door and could feel the heat on the glass and kitchen window.
“I phoned the fire brigade straight away.”
Fire engines from Dewsbury and Batley had to force their way in to the house at Creswell Lane, Staincliffe and as the front door opened, Pixie the dog came running out of the smoke.
“I didn’t know she had a dog,” Leanne said.
“I grabbed her collar and took her in.”
Gemma Toole, the tenant in the house, raced home as soon as her landlady called to say what had happened.
“I have never moved so fast,” she said. “I had left the hob on, not realised, then gone out.”
The 27-year-old said she was relieved when she found out that Leanne had taken Pixie in.
“She’s fine now,” she said.
“Everything is back to normal.”