In this week’s Batley and Birstall News, farewell to Mr Frontier. Derek Smith, the man who played a major role in making Batley the mecca for variety stars in the 1970s and 80s has died at the age of 77.
Also this week:
- An auctioneer and antiques dealer has made a gem of a discovery and one that will be shared with TV viewers.
- An historical town centre bank building and club has gone up for sale.
- Dewsbury MP received threats to rape and kill her in a message on social networking site Facebook.
- A five-year-old girl has grown her hair for 12 months – and will now have it chopped for a charity which creates wigs for youngsters facing cancer treatment or other illness.
- Three cheers to the man who has set up ale trails across the county.
Read more on these stories and many more in this week’s News, out tomorrow!