Kitten rescued from flat fire


A kitten was rescued by firefighters from a ground floor flat in Dewsbury.

Fire crews from Dewsbury and Mirfield were called to the Crescent at 3.45pm today (Monday).

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus, pressure hoses and a ventilation fan as they tackled the blaze for an hour.

Severe damage was caused to the living room and smoke damage was kept to a minimum due to the doors inside the flat being shut.

The owner of the flat was out of the building at the time as firefighters found the kitten inside and carried it to safety.

No smoke alarm was fitted and fire chiefs are advising people to have one installed to prevent more serious incidents.