A grill pan which was left unattended caused a kitchen fire at a flat in Dewsbury.
Firefighters were called to a property at Howgate House, Wellington Road, at around 7.40pm yesterday (Monday).
Watch manager Howard Young, at Dewsbury Fire Station, said the pan caught fire and the blaze spread to the extractor hood above the cooker.
He said: “The occupier turned on the wrong hob and left the cooking pan unattended.
“The couple were in a different room but were alerted by their smoke detector and managed to deal with the cooking pan before calling the fire service as the extractor fan had caught fire.”
No-one was injured in the incident which caused smoke damage to the flat’s kitchen.
Mr Young said: “This fire could have been a lot worse and shows the importance of having smoke detectors in people’s homes.
“It could quite easily have been a far more serious fire.”
For a free fire safety check in your home call West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service on 01274 682311.