Battling Batley Boys edged out by Earswick

Batley Boys slipped to a 20-12 defeat at home to New Earswick All Blacks as they dropped to fourth place in Pennine Championship One.

Thursday, 4th December 2014, 11:37 am
Batleys Rob Bingham set up a try

New Earswick opened the scoring with a converted try, before good defensive work from Batley’s forwards kept the visitors at bay for a while.

Earswick pressure eventually told as they scored a second converted try.

Batley replied with good runs from Josh Whitehead and Nathan Lumb to take them close and Aaron James crashed through the defence after a well timed pass from Ryan Crossley. Mick Dyson converted and the Boys trailed 12-6 at half-time.

Batley started the second half strongly with good runs from Aaron James and Gavin Davis.

Half-back Rob Bingham sent James over for his second try of the match, converted by Dyson to level.

Batley gave away a penalty close to the line which New Earswick converted to edge in front.

New Earswick took play close to the line and sealed victory with another converted try.

Batley’s top tackler was James followed by Gavin Davis and Sean Sheard and the Boys travel to Newsome Panthers in the Pennine President’s Cup on Saturday.

n Shaw Cross Sharks moved up to third place in Pennine Division Two last Saturday thanks to a 22-6 victory at home to Hunslet Parkside.

The Sharks turn their attentions to the Andrew Bennett Trophy on Saturday and a trip to West Leeds.

Wyke remain bottom of the table but have moved off zero points thanks to a 30-0 walkover against Littleborough.

The sides are scheduled to meet again at Littleborough this week in the Bennett Trophy.

Dewsbury Celtic earned a second successive victory in Division Four as they moved up to eighth place by defeating Dearne Valley Bulldogs 20-12.

Celtic host Wyke A in the Supplementary Cup, when Hanging Heaton travel to Doncaster Toll Bar A.

Heaton are third in Division Five after a 30-0 walkover from their game at Brighouse.

Wyke A remain ninth in Division Six West after a 14-8 defeat at Victoria Rangers A.