Colquhoun steps down as Liversedge manager

Liversedge Under-19s finished runners-up in the Northern Youth Alliance League West Division, winning 10 of their 13 matches.
Liversedge Under-19s finished runners-up in the Northern Youth Alliance League West Division, winning 10 of their 13 matches.

Liversedge ended the Northern Counties East League season with a disappointing 3-1 loss away at Athersley Recreation last Saturday.

The result sees Sedge finish in a below par 18th place in the Premier Division, albeit a comfortable 13 points ahead of the relegation places.

The game was manager Alan Colquhoun’s last in charge of the club, as he steps down from his duties now the 2014/15 campaign is over.

The reverse fixture between the two sides saw Liversedge come from three goals down to draw 3-3 at Clayborn, but this was a feat that could not be replicated this time around.

It did not take long for Athersley to take the lead at Sheerien Park. Daniel Joynes’ strike was uncharacteristically spilt by Sedge goalkeeper Sam Dobbs, and Jack Ripley was alert to finish the rebound.

Sedge had chances to pull back level before half time. Kieran Corley’s header was acrobatically tipped over by Athersley goalkeeper Shaun Penn, who then almost cost the home team a goal before the break.

With the ball safely in both hands, Penn inadvertently dropped the ball when running for a kick, only to illegally pick it back up as it rolled along the area.

But Corley was again unable to finish, as he sliced the resultant free kick inside the penalty area well wide.

In the second half, Brook Newton’s corner narrowly evaded the heads of Glen O’Gara and captain Tom Jackson which led to an Athersley counter attack.

Dobbs made a fine save from McCauley Shillito and Joe Oliver’s strike was deflected for a corner but Liversedge were still made to pay.

Barry Rothera blocked an initial header off the line but first half substitute Oliver smashed in the easy rebound to double his team’s advantage.

And it got worse moments later. Athersley top scorer Joynes beat his man on the left wing before curling past Dobbs from a difficult angle to make it 3-0.

Liversedge did give themselves a glimmer of hope to repeat their three goal comeback against Athersley.

Newton’s cross was blocked into the path of Eli Hey to finish but it would only prove be a consolation this time.

Joel Farrer did have an opportunity to close the deficit further but his shot went well over and the scores finished 3-1.

The result ended a three game unbeaten run for Liversedge, but they, as well as manager Colquhoun, will be disappointed not to have enjoyed a better result for the final game.

Liversedge: Sam Dobbs (Liam Scott-Bell 79mins), Jonjo Haley (Louis Andre 68mins), Andrew Sunley, Tom Jackson, Sam Jackson, Glen O’Gara, Eli Hey, Barry Rothera, Joel Farrer, Kieran Corley, Brook Newton.