Defeat plungles Sharks back into relegation scrap

Shaw Cross Sharks face a fight against relegation.
Shaw Cross Sharks face a fight against relegation.

Shaw Cross Sharks find themselves right back in the National Conference Division One relegation fight after a 22-12 defeat away to East Leeds last Saturday.

Sharks went into the game knowing victory against fellow strugglers Easts would have secured their first division status but it was the hosts who started brightly, putting Shaw Cross under pressure.

Cross were made to pay for a string of early penalties close to their line.

East Leeds played the ball to the left centre who produced a good offload for his teammate to touch down in the corner.

Sharks looked to have hit back as Matthew Tebb broke the line and found Sam Ottewell however the young centre was well tackled.

The opposition tackler held Ottewell on the ground and was sent to the sin bin.

Shaw Cross were unable to make the most of the extra man and fell further behind.

The East Leeds attacker collected his own chip chase and bundled himself over the line to score.

The visitors did manage to reply before the break as Tebb picked the ball up from acting half-back and dummied the defence to plant the ball down.

Shaw Cross started the second half much brighter as they mounted pressure on the East Leeds defence.

The Sharks were soon in front as Tebb produced another piece of genius to touch down.

In what was almost a carbon copy of his first try Tebb again collected the ball at acting half-back and sold another dummy to stretch is his arm out and score.

It would prove Sharks last points of the game as they failed to trouble the East Leeds defence again.

The hosts soon regained the lead as their full-back made a good run through the line and wrong footed Danny Flowers to go between the posts.

Shaw Cross pushed for another try but were unable to find a way through. Casey Johnson was hit with a high tackle 10 metres out and the right centre from East Leeds was then shown a yellow card for disputing the referee’s decision.

Sharks were unable to make the most of the extra man and for a second time in the game conceded while a man up as Easts moved play left and scored in the corner.

Sharks travel to Hull to face second place Myton Warriors on Saturday needing victory to secure survival.