Liversedge climb table with midweek win over Albion Sports

Liversedge's Regan Fish evades a sliding tackle by Pontefract's Scott Brown during Saturday's NCE LEague Premier Division game.
Liversedge's Regan Fish evades a sliding tackle by Pontefract's Scott Brown during Saturday's NCE LEague Premier Division game.

LIVERSEDGE moved up to 10th place in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division thanks to a 3-0 win away to Albion Sports on Wednesday night.

The winning margin could have been greater as Liversedge dominated play but they did enough to bounce back from last Saturday’s 4-2 defeat against high flying Pontefract Collieries.

Liversedge took a 33rd minute after Joe Walton’s initial shot was brilliant saved but from the resulting corner Andrew Wood rose to head home.

The visitors had to wait until the 70th minute to add a second goal when Joseph Hitch was on the end of a fine passing move to slot home.

Victory was completed three minutes from full-time when Sedge were awarded a penalty and Rhys Davies slotted home as his side climbed five places in the table.

Liversedge produced a late fight back last Saturday but it was not enough to prevent them losing 4-2 at home to Pontefract Collieries.

Pontefract have won 15 of their 17 league games this season and are also through to the FA Vase third round for the first time in their history.

Colls are also the division’s leading scorers having netted 69 times and it was an impressive first half display which put them on course for victory.

Victory left Pontefract a point behind leaders Handsworth Parramore with three games in hand but were denied the chance to move top when Tuesday’s game against Hall Road Rangers was postponed.

The game was effectively won by half-time as the visitors were three goals up, although Liversedge came back at them late on and threatened to snatch anunlikely point.

Kane Reece was initially the star of the show as he fired Ponte ahead after only seven minutes against their mid-table opponents, who on their day can be a dangerous side as they showed when knocking top six side Hemsworth MW out of the FA Vase.

Reece doubled the lead on 26 minutes, taking his tally of goals up to 14 for the season, before centre-forward Eli Hey got in on the scoring seven minutes later as he netted against his former club.

It stayed 3-0 with Colls coasting to victory until out of the blue Liversedge’s powerful striker Joe Walton pulled a goal back for the home team 15 minutes from time.

Walton had scored in Liversedge’s midweek win away to Hall Road and when he quickly netted again there was hope that Liversedge might snatch something from the game.

However, Hey popped up to grab his second goal of the game and 20th of the season to ensure there would be no shock turnaround.

Jonathan Rimmington’s men have no game this Saturday and their next fixture is a trip to third-bottom side Harrogate Railway Athletic next Wednesday (November 29).