Hey’s double strike earns Liversedge a crucial point

Liversedge's Franck Zola takes on a Retford United defender during last Saturday's Northern Counties East League Premier Division relegation scrap.
Liversedge's Franck Zola takes on a Retford United defender during last Saturday's Northern Counties East League Premier Division relegation scrap.

Super sub Eli Hey bagged two late goals to secure Liversedge a priceless point in their quest to avoid relegation from the NCE League Premier Division on Tuesday.

Liversedge looked to be heading for an eighth straight defeat as Athersley Recreation built a 3-0 lead but three goals in the final 20 minutes saw Liversedge earn a dramatic 3-3 draw.

Tuesday’s draw came on the back of a 2-0 defeat at home to fellow strugglers Retford United last Saturday.

Despite numerous Liversedge chances, first half goals from Adam Lee and Liam Wilkin were enough to see Sedge slip a seventh defeat on the bounce.

Liversedge again found themselves two goals behind at half-time against Athersley on Tuesday.

Kieron Scargill’s stunning long range effort beat Josh Avery in the Sedge goal to open the scoring before Scargill turned provider on the counter attack for Callum Mackie to double the Athersley lead before half-time.

It got worse for Sedge after the interval. Mackie flicked the ball on for Athersley top scorer Daniel Joynes who hammered home a near post strike to seemingly earn his side the three points.

But Liversedge had other ideas and produced an almighty comeback late on.

Manager Alan Colquhoun brought on Hey for Louis Andre and the game changed completely.

With barely 20 minutes remaining, Corley’s shot hit an arm of an Athersley defender in the area. Corley coolly dispatched the resulting penalty to give his team hope.

Top scorer Andrew Wood then turned provider, crossing for Hey on the edge of the area who controlled the ball beautifully, beat his man and volleyed through the Athersley goalkeeper’s palms to make it 3-2.

However, Liversedge’s chances seemed to fade when deep into injury time, captain Tom Jackson, already on a yellow card, complained at the referee’s decision to award Athersley a goal kick over a Sedge corner.

The referee felt that Jackson went too far and showed him a second yellow.

Incredibly, Sedge equalised from the goal kick they so desperately wanted to avoid.

Shaun Penn’s clearance could only be headed back at him by Kyle Cook, and Wood, Corley and Hey chased down the loose ball.

Corley’s original effort was well saved but it fell to super sub Hey, who slotted in the rebound from the final kick of the game to earn his side their first win since January 3.

Whilst Liversedge’s results see them drop to 19th in the table, they are now six points clear of the relegation zone, and this could be the confidence booster they need to help them avoid the drop.

Liversedge: Josh Avery, Sam Jackson, Brook Newton, Tom Jackson (sent off 90+3mins), Josh Hope, Glen O’Gara (Barry Rothera 69mins), Louis Andre (Eli Hey on 71mins), Franck Zalo (Andrew Sunley 80mins), Andrew Wood,Kieron Corley, Mitchell Pearson.