Challenge Cup: Batley Bulldogs progress as Dewsbury Rams crash out

BATLEY BULLDOGS set up a second round Challenge Cup tie with Featherstone Rovers after a fine 19-6 victory over Halifax Panthers on Saturday night.

Monday, 22nd March 2021, 9:06 am
Updated Monday, 22nd March 2021, 10:21 pm
Picture by Ed Sykes/ - 20/03/2021 - Rugby League - Betfred Challenge Cup Round 1 - Halifax Panthers v Batley Bulldogs - The Shay Stadium, Halifax, England - Batley Bulldogs celebrate at the end of the match

In Cumbria, Heavy Woollen rivals Dewsbury Rams were knocked out of the competition at the first hurdle as they were beaten 23-16 by 12-man Whitehaven.

In a tightly-contested first half at the Shay Stadium, Batley took the lead when Dale Morton kicked a penalty goal.

Jack Logan increased the Bulldogs' advantage as he dotted down for his first Batley try, to give the away side an 8-0 advantage at the interval.

Jodie Broughton edged the visitors' further ahead with a second try soon after the restart but the Panthers hit back quickly through Matt Garside.

With 13 minutes to go, Craig Lingard's side put the game out of the Panthers' reach as former Halifax player Ben Kaye burrowed over.

The victory was sealed two minutes from time as Ben White kicked a drop-goal to send the Bulldogs into the next round.

Batley will face Featherstone in the second round this weekend after James Webster's side breezed past Bradford Bulls with a 41-16 win on Sunday.

Earlier in the day, Frazer Morris had opened the scoring for Dewsbury at Whitehaven as he dived over following back-to-back sets.

Lachlan Walmsley then hit back for the hosts before Chris Taylor put Whitehaven ahead with another try after a period of pressure.

The hosts were then reduced to 12 men as Brett Phillips was red carded for a tip tackle on Michael Knowles. Dewsbury were level moments later as Adam Ryder planted down.

Mark Shackley put the home side back in front on 57 minutes before Matthew Fleming hauled the Rams level four minutes later.

That would be the visitors' last mark on the scoreboard, however, as Gregg McNally scored in the right-hand corner before adding a drop goal four minutes from time.