Cleckheaton U8s continue to show improvement as season reaches climax

Cleckheaton RUFC Under-8s produced a dominant display in awful conditions as they overcame a combined West Leeds and Bradford side 18-6.

Saturday, 25th March 2017, 6:08 am
Cleckheaton Under-8s on attack during their game against combined West Leeds and Bradford side.

Cleck attacked from the start and a storming run from Bowen Galligan led to the opening try.

The opposition seemed to be struggling with their handling skills in the strong winds and rain during the early stages as several stray passes and dropped balls were pounced upon by a determined Adam Boocock.

This led to more scoring opportunities for the Cleck players and try scorers included Joel Pratt, who celebrated in style before also collecting the 100 per cent effort award.

In the second half, the away team re-grouped but were not allowed to build any momentum with fast tagging and teamwork from all the Cleckheaton players, especially William MacIntosh, who earned the player of the match trophy.

There were more great runs from Cleck, with Jenson Senior opting for a direct approach, Freddie Rhodes weaving through several opposition tackles and Finley Supple making full use of the wings to run in tries and cap an impressive performance by the home side,.

Cleckheaton are producing their best rugby of the season as the campaign nears its climax and they will look to continue their fine run of form this weekend against opposition to be confirmed.

Cleckheaton Under-13s produced two fine displays to win one and draw one of their games in a three-way competition against Thornesians and Bradford and Bingley Bees.

It has been a tough season for the Under-13s, who are virtually a new side and initially struggled with numbers and new coaches.

Their hard work finally paid off with a great first win of the season against Thornensians.

Cleck were straight on attack with some good passing and eventually broke through a stubborn defence to score.

Cleckheaton’s defence thwarted Thornesians and when they regained possession, the home side grabbed a second try to seal a 10-0 win.

The second game saw Bingley repel wave after wave of Cleckheaton attack in a 0-0 draw.