Bulldogs too fierce for Select

Adam Gledhill crashes over for Batley's first try.
Adam Gledhill crashes over for Batley's first try.

The fitness and skill levels of Batley Bulldogs proved too much for the brave Heavy Woollen Select amateurs as they ran out 68-6 winners.

Batley have now won all three of their friendly fixtures and appear in fine form as the new Kingstone Press Championship season draws closer.

For half an hour, Heavy Woollen tested the Bulldogs with stand-off Joel Gibson providing their best attacking moments.

Heavy Woollen shocked Batley as they took a third minute lead and although Batley hit back to take the lead, the amateurs only trailed 12-6 after 30 minutes.

Two tries in the final 10 minutes of the first half gave Batley a platform to build and they were clinical after the break, running in a further eight tries to complete a comfortable win.

Heavy Woollen made a glorious start and caught Batley cold.

Full-back Pat Foulstone chipped to the right corner and winger George Croisdale was alert to pounce and touch down. Gibson landed a towering touchline conversion to put the amateurs 6-0 ahead.

The lead lasted eight minutes before Batley hit back as Adam Gledhill drove and had the strength to stretch over the line.

Cain Southernwood — on his first appearance for the Bulldogs — landed the first of his eight conversions.

Gibson produced a lovely chip over the top and regathered before kicking to the left but the Batley defence was alert to the danger.

Gibson then intercepted a pass close to his own line and raced 40 metres before he was caught and was injured in the tackle.

Batley piled on the pressure and eventually took the lead as James Brown slipped a neat pass out to send trialist scrum-half Jordan Anderson over for the try, which Southernwood improved.

Brown was involved again minutes later as he drove towards the line before Alistair Leak dived over from acting half-back, with Southernwood converting.

Full-back Jordan Grayston then won a race to a kick-through as he dived over for Batley’s fourth try, with Southernwood’s goal putting the Bulldogs 24-6 ahead at half-time.

Batley started the second half superbly as Johnny Campbell crossed in the left corner inside the opening minute and the winger added his second try four minutes later, with Southernwood converting the latter.

Southernwood’s lovely pass sent Lee Mitchell charging over before Wayne Reittie was on the end of a fine passing move to score in the right corner, with Southernwood adding a brilliant touchline goal to the winger’s try.

Heavy Woollen’s kick off went out on the full and Ayden Faal benefited when he was on the end of another passing move to score out wide and another Southernwood touchline goal brought up Batley’s half century.

Southernwood sent Shaun Squires over wide on the left and the stand-off tagged on his eighth goal before departing the field.

Mitchell added his second try, which substitute Scott Leatherbarrow converted, and there was time for Reittie to complete his brace, sent over wide on the right by Faal’s fine offload.

Leatherbarrow landed a towering touchline goal to complete a satisfactory victory for the Bulldogs against the brave amateurs.