Sharks succumb to high flying Miners ahead of crunch clash with Dudley Hill

Sharks players coach Paul March looked to have set up a consolation try but was penalised for obstruction
Sharks players coach Paul March looked to have set up a consolation try but was penalised for obstruction

Shaw Cross Sharks slipped to a 44-0 defeat at an impressive Leigh Miners Rangers in the National Conference League Division One last Saturday.

The Sharks were missing a number of first-team players and were well beaten by a high-flying Miners side who picked up their 10th win on the bounce to stay in touch with leaders Thornhill.

It was tough going from the start as the home side raced into a strong lead, with the first try coming after six minutes when Matt Astley went over from close range, with Jack Reynolds adding the first of six conversions.

Their second try came from good work by Joe Connor, who timed his pass perfectly for Martin Gray to continue his line through the defence to run in.

That was followed shortly by an Adam Thomason try, as the full-back finished off a quick move by breaking through the line and spinning round the final defender to ground.

Both sides were producing errors but the difference was the dangerous and clinical attack from the Miners.

The next try came from Owen Johnson, who dived over from acting half-back.

The Sharks had their best chance to get off the mark when Paul March broke clear and passed to Ben Ripley to score in the corner, but the referee harshly ruled that March had obstructed the defender and the try was chalked off.

The visitors kept fighting and almost made it to half-time without any further damage, but Connor managed to bulldoze his way to the line in the final minute to put the Miners 26-0 up at the break.

The second half was scrappy as both sides struggled a little with the heat, before the home side extended their lead when Matt Astley offloaded in a tackle for Darryl Kay to score.

Gray then scored his second of the match, going over on the right after a quick move caught the Sharks short on numbers.

Miners got an eighth try with the final action of the game, with Reynolds finishing off on the left wing to wrap things up.

Defeat leaves the Sharks bottom of the table on six points as they host fellow strugglers Dudley Hill on Saturday.