Towngate dump Lees out of cup

TOWNGATE sent Premier Division leaders Thornhill Lees crashing out of the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup after Danny Facey’s lone goal secured a 1-0 win in last Sunday’s second round tie .

Saturday, 3rd November 2012, 2:09 pm

Cup holders Birkenshaw also secured a 1-0 win after Joel Farrar’s strike was enough to beat a determined Dewsbury Rangers 1-0.

Battyeford and Littletown drew 3-3 after extra time before the Mirfield side held their nerve to win the penalty shoot-out.

Barry Mitchell (two) and Kieron Harper were Battyeford’s scorers in normal play.

Chris Dixon bagged the game’s only goal as Oakwell Motel won 1-0 at Hartshead.

Jordan Midwood (brace), Andy Kaye, George Deegan, Joshua Smith and Peter Leonard all scored as Gomersal defeated Taylor 6-4 to progress to the next round after extra time.

Yusuf Akudi (two), Adam Loonat and Ahmed Seedat replied for Taylor.

David Blackburn hammered a spectacular 50-yard goal for Scholes Athletic, but they were emphatically beaten 11-1 at Carriers Arms.

n Barr Street progressed to the third round of the Heavy Woollen Challenge Trophy after Dwayne Wilkinson, Daniel Stuart and Josh Rodgers found the net in a 3-1 win over Hightown (Dean Comins).

Patrick Davies and Chris Meesham both struck twice as Northorpe United won 5-2 at Batley Irish Nash.

Kyle Douglas hit the other, with Danny McDaid and John Brook replying for Nash.

Johnny Mitchell grabbed a hat-trick as Battyeford Reserves won 3-1 against Birkenshaw Reserves whose reply came via an own goal.

Matthew Roe, Stephen Day and an own goal ensured Bay Horse East Ardsley won 3-1 against Punch Bowl, who replied through Charles Freer.

Ismail Loonat and Fayyaz Bobat were on target for Mount Pleasant, but they bowed out after losing 3-2 against St John Fisher Reserves.

Ben McArdle, Joe Armour, George Porter and Mark Claughton all found the net as Heckmondwike Sports Club won 4-1 at Ravenswharfe (Michael Smith).

Doubles from Darren Campbell and Matt Robinson, plus strikes from Chris Kemp and Robert McCann, saw Jardy Boys win 6-3 at Snowdon, who replied through goals from Bilaal Salu, Sajid Pathan and Muhammed Bham.

n West End climbed to second place in the Heavy Woollen Sunday League Premier Division, after Paul Smith (hat-trick), Gibril Bojang and Matt Durkin all netted in a 5-3 win over FC Pack Horse who replied through Jonathan Irving (two) and Sam Buswell.

Woodman Batley Carr lie sixth after they won 4-3 against AFC Chickenley, who had Shaun McDaid (two) and Tim Clarke on target.

The only game in the Championship saw Overthorpe Sports Club climb to second place following a 3-2 win at Mirfield Town.

Gareth Marshall (brace) and Michael Haley struck for Overthorpe, with Niall Raymond and Adam Brown replying for the home side.

Shaun Hammill and Luke Murfin both fired hat-tricks as Railway East Ardsley won 9-2 at Rising Sun in the only game in Division One.

Harry Moxon (two) and Jacob Booth hit the others in a game that saw Railway move up to second place. Tom Allen and Danny Gannon replied for Rising Sun who remain bottom.

In Division Two, Elliott Brooke fired a hat-trick as Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves climbed to fifth place with a 6-3 win over Batley Celtics.

Tristan Batley-Kyle, Paul Hodgson and Sean Hodgson hit the others, with Celtics replying through Rob Fleming (brace) and Matt Hutchinson.

In the battle of the bottom two sides it was Mirfield Town Reserves who emerged 9-0 winners against Rose of York.

Waqar Bashir led the way with a tremendous five goals, Razeb Raja bagged a brace, with Andrew Walker and Asim Mahmood completing the tally.