Towngate made to work hard for cup progress

DEFENDING Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup holders Towngate were made to work hard in their first round match against a spirited Overthorpe Town.

Thursday, 4th November 2010, 2:38 pm

Avron Noel put the home side ahead after two minutes but Overthorpe hit back just before the interval through Tom Hirst.

Noel hit his second after the break and Towngate hung on to book their place in the next round with a 2-1 win.

Heckmondwike Town thrashed Bay Horse East Ardsley 10-0, with Elliott Williams and Rob Hiscox netting a hat-trick each. Paul Walker, Noel Whittaker, Marc Harrison and Matthew Biddle completed the rout for Heckmondwike.

An epic battle was played out at East Ardsley Rec, where Tingley WMC narrowly beat Thornhill Lees 7-6 after extra time.

Jason Calcutt hit a hat-trick for Tingley, with Simon Poole, Aaron Smithson, Mick Williamson and David Ward hitting the others.

Lees replied through Ross Ingham, James Wilson and Nathan Kemp, who each scored twice.

Joe Naydorf was outstanding in Howden Clough’s 1-0 win over Scholes Athletic, while Ryan Danby hit the game’s only goal.

Jermaine Davies struck a fine hat-trick as Thirsty Man ran out 8-4 winners over Birkenshaw Reserves. Scott Ryan (brace), Danny Damon, Lamin Bojang and Patrick Davies bagged the others, with Birkenshaw replying through Tristran Kennedy (two), Tom Smith and Craig Bell.

The Scotland progressed to the next round after Danny Clapham (hat-trick), Joel Clegg, Oliver Fisher, Joe Hewitt and an own goal saw them win 7-3 at Littletown (Danny Scott, Joby Terry and Dale Smith).

New Inn Staincliffe saw off the challenge of fellow Division One side Hartshead with a 4-1 victory. Liam Roadnight led the way with a brace, with John Stott and Andrew Richardson netting the others.

Gyles Wallbank scored Hartshead’s consolation. Dave Bordman and Jordan Midwood both found the net in St John Fishers’ 2-0 win over Birkenshaw. Shaun McDaid hit a hat-trick for Division One AFC Chickenley as they pushed Premier side Woodman Batley Carr into extra time, but goals from Andrew Pickles (two), Ryan Gray, Alex Hall and James Blaine ensured Woodman went through to the next round.