Trojans’ cup dream ended despite fine effort at Hull

Jake Wilson produced a man-of-the-match display in Thornhill's narrow Challenge Cup defeat at Hull Dockers.
Jake Wilson produced a man-of-the-match display in Thornhill's narrow Challenge Cup defeat at Hull Dockers.

Thornhill Trojans came within a whisker of causing an upset in the Ladbroke’s Challenge Cup before being edged out 8-6 at Hull Dockers.

The Trojans led for long periods and at full time were bitterly disappointed not to be progressing to the next round

The Trojans were left to rue a disallowed try after 27 minutes from Mindaugas Bendikas when the touch judge on the Hull Dockers touchline spotted a forward pass.

However, it was the 68th minute sin-binning of Jake Wilson which proved crucial as Dockers scored the match winning try, while Thornhill were down to 12 men.

Scott Green made a welcome return and was a key factor in ensuring Thornhill stood toe to toe with their Premier Division opponents.

Man of the match Wilson also stood out with his telling passes, while Ben Kendall returned to the Trojans after a spell with Mirfield Stags and there was a debut for 18 year-old Scott Carter.

Thornhill set their stall out from the off and scored after only six minutes when Green broke and the ball was worked wide and a great pass from Ryan Fenton picked out winger Sam Ratcliffe, who dived over in the corner.

Green was penalised for an altercation with Nathan Powley. To the dismay of the Thornhill players the penalty was awarded to Dockers.

Hooker Powley then forced his way over the try line and the referee awarded the try after some deliberation.

Green sent out a pass which found Danny Ratcliffe, who took play to the halfway line before sending Mindaugas Bendikas away for what looked like a try between the posts only for the far side touch judge to spot Green’s pass forward and the score was waved away.

Thornhill quickly overcame this disappointment and pressed forward. Scott Dyson put a high kick towards the posts. Danny Ratcliffe leapt high in the air to collect the ball but couldn’t control it and an opportunity was missed.

On the stroke of half-time Dockers were caught offside and Joel Gibson kicked the penalty goal to give the Trojans a 6-4 interval lead.

The second half was a tense affair as the temperature plummeted. The hardy spectators who braved the elements until the end saw the Trojans keep Dockers under pressure.

The Trojans battled well and seemed set to hold onto their two point lead until Wilson was sin-binned for dissent in the 68th minute.

Moments later a Dockers kick to the corner saw winger Jamie Jenkyns go over for an unconverted try.

Thornhill made one final raid but Danny Ratcliffe was penalised for passing the ball off the floor close to the try line.

The attack broke down however and Thornhill finished-up just short of a fine cup win.